top of page

I'll Answer Your Questions

People that are involved in a auto accident often ask me the same questions. I'll post the answers here to the most popular questions.

I was in an accident one month ago. Can I still get treated for my injuries?

Yes, you can get treated for your injuries. Many times people will experience symptoms days, weeks or even months after an accident. That is why I always recommend that even if you are not experiencing any symptoms initially, you make contact with a trauma qualified physician. This way even if your symptoms don't occur until later, you will have a relationship with a physician that will treat you. People may try to self-treat after an accident and it will initially feel good however, as time goes on, the symptoms reoccur or don't completely resolve. Also, some people will get muscle relaxants and pain relievers from their doctors. Often these medications just sweep dirt under the rug (see my previous blog posts on this). When the medication wears off, the underlying condition is still unresolved. The medication just masks the pain. You will also need an attorney to represent you if you have gone a period of time without treatment. Insurance company attorneys will try to diminish your injuries and minimize the severity of the accident. A good attorney is necessary to represent you in these cases.

Why do I need to come in so much for treatment ?

There are different phases of care. Initially, you want the muscle spasm and pain to reduce. Patients may be sensitive to moving because of sore muscles. The goal in this phase is to reduce muscle spasm, decrease pain and increase range of motion. When this starts to improve a patients condition, you need to address the underlying condition(s). Joints may be locked up, there may be disc injuries in the spine, arthritis or ligament injuries. When these start to improve, it is time to stabilize the area by strengthening certain muscles and stretching tight ones. The length of time to heal is different for everyone. Remember, anytime you want to make a change in your body, it takes time. You can't lose fifty pounds by going to the gym for a week, you can't learn to play the piano in a week. And, you can't expect to get better after an accident after muscles get torn, ligaments get stretched, disc get damaged, etc. It takes time.

I don't have any money. I won't be able to afford it.

Physicians who treat auto accident patients work on a lien. A lien is a legal document that means a physician will withhold getting payment until after case settles. You will need an attorney to represent you. They will also fight to get any lost wages from not being able to work, damage to your vehicle and healthcare costs. It doesn't matter if you are at fault or not.

If you have been in an automobile accident and have neck pain, headaches, jaw pain, back pain, pain in the arms or legs, you need to visit a trauma qualified physician. Call the Auto Accident Pain Relief Center of Illinois at 800-862-5914, 24/7.

5 views0 comments


bottom of page